Monday, March 10, 2008

Martin Creek Lake State Park



My husband and I visited this park last summer, but I forgot to post, so I thought I'd go ahead and share what I remember!

We stayed in one of the park's cabins. It was very basic, but clean and nice overall (and inexpensive). It had a wonderful screened in porch (great for getting away from mosquitoes). We went during the hottest part of the summer, so I had to have my air conditioner! It also has wooded tent sites, mini-cabins w/AC and neat little screened shelters.

The lake water is really warm, because it helps to cool a nearby power plant, and there are several nice isolated places you can swim. Fishing is supposed to be really good for this reason, too. The one problem is that the power plant is HUGE....and really spoils the natural view.

There are several trails, and we hiked 3 or 4 miles of them (mostly the bike loop behind the two cabins which was recommended by park staff--see map). It was thickly wooded with nice views of the lake. One especially nice (but short) trail we took crosses a bridge and circles a small island (with primitive camping sites). It is a beautiful island, and we saw lots of deer (and a cool abandoned outhouse). If you sit at a certain spot on the shore, you can see the deer swimming back and forth from the mainland in the morning and evening. I hope to go back sometime and walk the rest of the trails and visit with friends who live nearby.

Outhouse


The park also has a lighted fishing pier, and my husband and I had great fun staying up late and fishing in the dark (when it was cool). I caught lots of fish (mostly perch on worms, one catfish with grasshopper) and my husband (fishing for bass) didn't have much luck. We also sat on the bank of the lake and just talked. During this time a large beaver swam at me really quickly (and in the dark I thought it was an alligator). Scary!

I would recommend this park if you live nearby (within a few hours' drive). It's lovely, but not spectacular.

See this site for park and trail information:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/martin_creek/




My perch (tiniest fish of the night)

My catfish (biggest fish of the night)

No comments: